This summer I rediscovered once again my obsession with aubergines. Spending almost a month in Greece, the one thing that I consumed every single day was and honestly I never got tired of it. When I came back home I still found myself craving and wanting to have it on a day to day basis. Inspired from my trip to Morocco this year, especially the traditional spice mixture from its cuisine, I created this simple and quick cous cous with aubergine. As most of my recipes it takes almost no time to make, it tastes delicious and you can eat it on its is own or serve it as a side to your main dish. The best thing about it is that it’s budget friendly and you most probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry.
1/2 cup of cous cous
1 large or 2 medium sized Aubergines
One bunch of mint leafs
1 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 cup – walnuts
What to do?
1. Cut the aubergines into round circles and place them on a baking sheet
2. Salt them and let them sit for 15min. – in this way you dry out the moisture and make them taste less bitter
3. After the time has passed brush them with olive oil and place in the 180 preheated oven until ready( 20-25min.)
4. In the meantime mix the half a cup of cous cous with a 1tsp. Olive oil, the zest of one lemon and a few fresh mint leafs
5. Pour hot water over the cous cous mixture and let it sit for around 5 min. or until all the water is absorbed
6. Fluff the cous cous with a fork
7. When your aubergines are already baked, chop them into small pieces and add them to the cous cous
8. Season with your remaining spices, chopped mint leafs, juice of one lemon and generous amount of olive oil
9. Roughly chop the walnuts and add them on top
There you have it! A simple and delicious weekly dinner or lunch idea! Hope you enjoy it!