Cake for breakfast? Yes, please. Since being in quarantine, pancake day can be celebrated whenever and from what I see on social media, the majority of the people I follow seem to be making pancakes quite regularly. From all that deliciouness I was exposed to every morning, while I was scrolling down my feed, it was about time to treat my family and myself with this sweet morning delight. It was my dads birthday last Sunday and for a few days he was asking me to make him crepes for breakfast, but my lazy morning self could not be asked to do anything else in the morning except drink coffee and enjoy my oatmeal. That’s why I decided to surprise him with a crepe birthday cake. It was so simple and easy to put together that even a non morning person(like me) can enjoy making.
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 tbsp.cocoa powder
3 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. Baking powder
250 g mascarpone cheese
100 ml heavy cream
1/4 cup strawberry jam
fresh strawberries(to decorate)
50 g chocolate(70%)
1/4 cup heavy cream
What to do?
- Start by combining all the ingridients for the crepes in a big mixing bowl leaving out the cocoa powder. To make the presentation a bit more fun, separate the crepe mixture into to equal parts and add the cocoa to one of them.
- Make your crepes as you would normally do.
- When you have used up all the batter, leave crepes to cool for a bit.
- Meanwhile make your filling. Using a hand mixer, mix thoroughly the creams and jam until you get a thick spreadable consistency.
- if you don’t want use strawberry jam, just cut up fresh strawberries
5. After you have made the filling, make your ganache. Heat up cream and pour over the chopped chocolate. Leave it for 1-2 minutes and then stir.
6. When everything is ready, it is time to assemble. This is where the fun comes, so you can get creative as much as you want. I personally started with a vanilla crepe as my bottom layer, spread over the filling and then add a chocolate crepe on top and did so until I ran out of crepes. To finish it of pour the ganache on top.
I really hope you like this recipe and if you make it, please share your thoughts and results with me.
* the reason why you don’t see the mascarpone cream in the pictures is because right now we’ve moved in the middle of nowhere, so I could not buy mascarpone from anywhere. So if you have the same issue as, don’t worry to skip the cream mixture and just spread the layers with jam.