I have noticed that recently for whatever reason we seem to buy much more avocados than we need. Non-surprisingly we cant eat them all and they become overly ripe and not really enjoyable to eat them raw. Instead of throwing them away I try to incorporate them in healthy and nutritious dishes because as we all are probably aware avocados are a really good source of fat. If I don’t feel like cooking with them, I cut them up and put them in the freezer, so I can later add them to my smoothie bowls to make them creamier. But some days when I feel more creative, I like experimenting and adding the avocados to dishes that you wouldn’t normally expect to find them. The other day I was craving something sweet and I remembered that avocados are great for making vegan brownies. At first I wasn’t really sure that my attempt to make avocado brownies would be successful, but luckily they turned out tasting delicious. To make sure that I am not trusting just my own opinion, I shared the brownie with a couple of friends and I got the approval of all of them. The best thing was that no one even noticed that they were eating a sweet delight that contains avocados, so if you would like to trick someone in starting to like avocados, this recipe is right for you. The brownies are great to be enjoyed for breakfast as a snack or even as dessert along side some ice-cream.
2 medium avocados
1 cup of whole meal flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 orange – zest + juice
1/3 cup vegan milk
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
1/4 cup walnuts(optional)
50 g dark chocolate (optional)
What to do?
1. Preheat oven to 180 C degrees.
2. In a blender combine avocados, coconut sugar, milk, orange zest and juice, and vanilla extract.
3. In a large bowl sieve the dry ingredients.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry alongside the chopped walnuts and stir through using a spatula to combine.
5. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for around 30-35 minutes or until the top is all nice and set, but you have gooey middle.
6. Finally melt the chocolate and pour over the brownie.
I really hope you enjoy this recipe and if you do I would love to see your results. Also let me know whether I am the only one that tends to buy more avocados than needed.