This recipe has always been a summer staple since I was a little girl. Whenever my family and I run out of ideas of what meal to prepare and want something simple, quick, but still equally delicious and filling, we go for these stuffed peppers. Traditionally they are not associated with being the most flavorful dish, but when combined with the right spices and herbs, they can really be the star on the table. Paired with my zero – waste spring onion pesto to brighten up and embrace the ingredients, this dish will become your new weekly dinner/lunch addition.
400 g cottage cheese(izvara)
6 peppers (red or green)
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 cup parsley (optional)
Salt and Pepper
40 ml olive oil
Spring onion pesto:
100 grams whole spring onion (green and white parts)
1 large bunch fresh basil
¼ cup walnuts
30 ml olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp. nutritional yeast(optional)
What to do?
- Start by making the stuffing for the peppers. Combine in a bowl the eggs, cottage cheese, spices and olive oil.
- Cut the tops of your peppers and save them for later use.
- Stuff your peppers with the prepared cottage cheese mix and close ro secure the stuffing with the top “heads”.
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Put the stuffed peppers in a baking tray, pour 1 cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Place the peppers in the oven for around 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile make your pesto. Add all the ingredients listed above in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- When everything is ready, serve peppers topped with a small scoop of pesto on top and enjoy!